Thursday 10 October 2013

A Fruitful Wednesday

Well, there are two main things I wish to share here. My university was having a career week from 8th-10th October. I registered to attend a workshop on the 9th, 10am-12pm. However, it clashed with another event I registered weeks ago, by the first ever TEDx-INTIIU, which started from 10am-2pm. I had no choice but to attend the workshop (seeing that I'm graduating soon) in the morning then only headed for TEDx.

Workshop: Top Glove, Top Quality, Top Efficient

It was a resume workshop. It started off with a brief introduction on the company, then moving on to preparing resume, do's and don'ts during an interview, and Q&A session.


I've always knew that Top Glove (TG) is one of the biggest rubber manufacturers specializing in glove production, the main supplier of clinical glove. During the introduction part, I came to know even more about the company. It exports to more than 180 countries, has 27 factories with 498 production lines employing 11, 000 employees. It has offices in Klang and currently constructing its new building in Setia Alam (completion upon March 2015). Our lecturer always said, Malaysia produces rubber better than Thailand. But from the workshop, we were told that, Top Glove's rubber supplies come from Thailand because of its superior quality. There, I learn something new, and realized that, not everything the lecturer told was true. 

We were taught the techniques to effectively compose our resume, for example, it should not be more than two pages because, HR wouldn't have time to go through everything. List only the significant ones will do. Then, we were told on some typical attitudes that deprive the job opportunity away from the candidates, unwillingness to learn, demotivated to achieve KPIs and so on. We were also told the expectation TG has on the fresh grads. There was a junior engineer sharing his working experience as well. He had an internship in TG, after finished his studies, he continue his journey with TG since 2.5 years ago. He said, TG emphasizes on overall exposure and opportunities. As an engineer, they are given opportunities to propose new technologies to the management as well. Oh, and there is a TG Foundation, providing support to those who are interested to further their studies. THIS is tempting!

During the Q&A session, some of the students asked about salaries, bonuses, promotions and everything else except, probation period and the future of the company. I mean, aren't these two important as well? Why did they just think of the reward without concerning what could they contribute to the company? Unfathomable indeed. So, guess what? I asked about it. Seeing that TG has international involvement, I would like to know, would the company be devastatingly impacted if the US refused to raise its debt ceiling? I've seen news on how chaotic US is now, when the Congress refuse to do so. According to Warren Buffet, it would be dangerous if it were to be risen. However, the first treasury bill to be due falls on the 17th October. I have no idea what would be like if there was another depression due to US's default. 

That's why, I'm kinda afraid. No matter how big or strong a company may sound to be, it will still be part of the collateral damage, right? Then my dad said, I was just thinking too much. Besides, according to the HR manager, since TG focuses on supplying the medic industry, its a market which could hardly be affected by the economy. Really? However, the moment I compose this, here's the update.

TEDxINTIIU


So, when I arrived the hall, I missed the first four presenters, and the fifth presenter was going to end his speech. Fast forward to lunch break, I had a chance to have a conversation with my lecturer who taught me English during my foundation. We talked about life, and how team members take the leader for granted, pushing everything to the leader and expect the leader to do most of the work. Actually, I don't mind doing most of the work because at the end of the day, I will be the one who learnt the most while they all would not be competitive over others in the working world.


During the lunch break, Zlwin introduced himself to JJ, who was talking to Kavin. Kavin said, "Zlwin? I have never heard of it, but I've definitely heard of Alvin before." Guess what Zlwin said? "Ah, my elder brother is Alvin, each of the sibling take an alphabet and I'm the last one, so my name is Zlwin." Both JJ and Kavin was staring at him, wondering if he was serious. Then Zlwin said, "Nah, just kidding!" Both JJ and Kavin smirked. And JJ replied, "I was about to say, 'Wah, your mum so productive ah?'" LOL

One thing I wish to highlight here, is the magic show. It was really my pleasure to witness magic first hand. I mean, of course I've seen numerous magic shows before, be it from TV or invited guest for some events. However, I've never watch a magic show in such a SHORT distance! He was doing some "fork-bending" magic in front of me just 2-3 feet away! Of course I've seen it from YouTube before and I've always thought that it was some post-editing effects. But THIS, I watched it with my own naked eyes! Though my friend said this is a trick many magicians know, but still, I'm impressed! You know what, I'm damn regret that I didn't record it down. Or else, I'll sure upload it here to share with you all...
He is more handsome in real life than in this photo, okay? :D
BTW, he is performing in Zouk, KL.
Feel like going there to meet him lar.. LOL
Well, there is one thing in common, from all the speakers of the event. Erm, I'm not sure of those whom I've missed, but I'm pretty sure that, they mentioned the word PASSION! Kavin spent two years to be a stand up comedian though the first time he attempted a joke, no one laughed. Deborah realized that, refugees who fled their home country for survival hardly get noticed by the society and often being looked down upon and discriminated and thus, she finds helping them a wise thing to do. Jonathan has never dreamed of becoming the first champion for The Apprentice Asia 2013 and all he ever done, was to be prepared at all times and does what he loves. JJ, one of the founders of "Gotcha" call featured in hitz.fm, has an engineering background. He joined Hitz.fm as the Hitz Cruiser, learnt about the front line promotional events, then exposed to composing music (I think) as music exec, became a DJ for 2-6am session and so on. He has deep interest in learning everything about a radio station and have been doing what he loves too. Zlwin, though he was being kicked out from the magic club that he joined despite of the so-called "family" bonding that he had built with the club members, he never gives up in pursuing his dream.

What the speakers have in common, is that, they are living their lives doing things that they are passionate for. I mean, its not the first time hearing people say, do what you love and live your dream. Its very inspiring to listen to their journey in getting to where they are today. No matter how hard things had gotten to be, they never give up. JJ mentioned something similar with what Steve Jobs said in the video I posted last time, about connecting the dots. No matter what life throws at you, you just need to go along the way, grab the opportunities to learn new things, regardless what it is because, you will never know when would it come handy, especially during the turning point of your life. It really worth my MYR20 for the registration because, what I gained from their speeches are priceless.

But then again, here comes the question, "What do I passionate for?", "Am I still too young to figure out what I'd love to do for the rest of my life?" I am a person who has interest in almost everything, ranging from food, wines, fashion, electronic devices, IT, astronomy, sport cars, investments and so on! I don't particularly hate anything, to be honest. But how do you distinguish between a hobby and a dream? They are people who love to take photos as an amateur but eventually, hobby turns into passion and it turns into a career. Some people dance for some family or special occasions but eventually, it turns into something stronger and they become professional dancers. I'm a business student and thus, it makes things more complicated. Students who study law, become lawyers; those who study medic become doctors; and those who study engineering become engineers. As for business, every industry needs people to run the company. There are a wide range of choices out there, which industry should I join? To be frank, I have no idea. I think, all I need to do now, is to imagine, "If I were to step into this industry, could I be in it for the rest of my life?" Or even, "If I were to die tomorrow, would I go with no regret and rest in PEACE?" Well, once you stepped out from one industry to join the other, you have to start from zero and learn everything all over again because, different grounds have different playing rules. That, is the world of business.

Ah, I really don't know. Should I choose the industry with bright future ahead, eg green energy, health care, or F&B? Or should I really choose the one I like? But the point is, I don't find anything particularly love to do. Besides, I'm a person who can easily "hypnotize' myself. I may not have the interest in the first place, but I have the ability to make myself believe that, that is the right way. BUT, is this really what I want, to live in the illusion that I created for myself, wanting myself to believe that I love it?

My current state.
Main-stream, or Niche?
It was indeed a fruitful Wednesday.
However, it results in a few days of confusion that I would have to bear.
Anyway, "till next post, cheers :)


4 comments:

  1. zlwin chew, my high school senior.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.M.G!! like seriously??!
      you mean the private school you mentioned today?

      Delete
    2. yes he was there till form 3 and left.. and he was from help Uni also.. LOL and a friend from fb.. u wanna stalk him?

      Delete
    3. the HELP thing i heard before.. n i also heard that he is around 24 or so??
      actually.. i pm-ed with him before.. hehe :p

      Delete