Friday 14 February 2014

Nicholas, My Sifu

Okay, this is my first time writing a post specifically about a person. So, please bear with my poor adjectives. Ahem ahem.. Well, I know him through a friend (in a way) of mine, and the first time I saw him, was just his photo. Erm, ya, he looks quite rebel in it though (no offence, lol). Then, the first time I met him, was during a "training" session. At a first look, I could feel that he is not a very stringent person, as in, he is flexible in terms of "presentation" style. His explanation so detailed, his attitude so sincere, a willingness to share his knowledge and experience with us. Though it was just my first time meeting him, he appeared to be a friendly and patient person. Oh, by the way, one of his eyes is double-eyelid while the other is single-eyelid (I know it sounds weird, but it doesn't look weird, okay? Weird right? Hmm..) The fringe is just about the right length to show the best part of his face. His masculine voice enthusiastic, his eyes radiate warmth. (Wait, I think I crap too much.. lol..)

So, he is my sifu in photography. Why am I writing this post? Well, he has taught me a lot of knowledge and share his experience with us. I had totally no idea what are aperture, focal length, bokeh effects and so on. But after a period of time learning from him, I got some of the basics. I'm grateful that we went to some places to take photos, Thean Hou Temple and KLCC. Though I'm still at newbies' level, I'll certainly do my best to improve. Hehe..

Feeling weird? Because of the wrong setting on White Balance.
(I wouldn't have noticed it should he had not told me)
Was trying out the effects of different shutter speed. The right one is more fascinating right?
Left: 1/250 sec, f/4.5, ISO-200;
Right: 1/5 sec, f/22, ISO-200.
Some of the background-defocus photos:
How: Zoom to the max, and apply the lowest f-number available.
1/320 sec, f/5.6, ISO-200.
1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO-200.
1/5 sec, f/5.6, ISO-200.
1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO-200.
Okay, I regretted for not having enough conversation with him. I was basically, you know, too shy!! WT!! I should have seized the chance but due to communication barrier, I... Sigh.. I should really start brushing up my Cantonese!! I feel so sorry for not being able to help him much when I was asked to. He is leaving for a better prospect and stepping onto a further milestone in his life. I've only known him for a short period of time, but I feel so reluctant to accept the fact that he is gone......

Okay, I know it looks weird, because I cropped the other person out. lol..
All the best in your future undertakings, Nic. Do keep in touch. I'm grateful to have met you in my life. I'll forever see you as my photography sifu!! Looking forward to the day we cross path again :)

P/S: These recent few days you wore long sleeves right? And I must say, you do look smart in it :D

'Till next post, cheers. :)


2 comments: